Sunday, November 02, 2008

Doctor-Doctor...Give Me the News...

The trip to the doctor went pretty well...or so I thought.
Went in and my glucose log pleased to doctor as did my weight. They ended up with a general blood sample and sent me on my way.
A day later I got a call asking me to come in and visit with the doc. Now this really scared the good wife. Didn't the visit go good. Turns out that my blood work had somehow came back bad. The only real concern I had was over my liver, and that's what troubled me a bit.
Anyway, the next day I'm back in the office waiting for the hammer upside my head when he came in with a very somber look and began the eulogy.
Turns out that the bad news was that my cholesterol had risen a couple of points and thought it worthy of discussion. My "big" glucose test turned out very well and, "whatever it was that I was doing..I needed to keep doing." My liver showed no indication of ongoing damage and all else was improved.
Now...why in the world could he not have just called and told me about the cholesterol? Something like, "hey there gimpy...your cholesterol has risen a bit and I would like your permission to call in a prescription...sound good?"
The reason is that there is just so much red tape to mess with. Could he document the discussion and agreed upon treatment with no receipt of a visit to the office? No...would just be a phone call.
As a child, I can still remember having the mumps and the horror of looking out the window and seeing the town doctor walking up our street carrying his black bag of torture. Do I ever miss those days of reason and trust...

No comments: