Sunday, November 02, 2008

Go Vote

When it comes to politics and my country...some call me a zealot, and other people call me a patriot. I think I'm just a little bit of both.

Now if you ask me what my honest opinion of the whole voting issue is, I would have to say I'm not so confident in the whole process. Does my vote REALLY matter...probably not. But, I can say that it does entitle me to participate in the process and allows me the right to gripe.

When I speak to people who open with a complaint of the government I always ask if they voted. If not, then I don't value their opinion. Why should I listen to someone who won't even take the time to do something as simple as voting.

The truth is that the electoral college makes our pick for us and I'm not about to even try to explain the whole process.

On the other hand, when it comes to policy, the President actually has little power. He/she is the leader, but is heavily managed by the other two branches of government; judicial & legislative.

Now we don't have much power over the judicial, but the legislative is a whole other story. If you really want to make a difference, then get on the phone to your legislator's. Tell them how you feel and don't be shy about reminding them that it is "they" who represent "you".

The president has the power to veto anything that congress might throw his/her way, but only once. If our legislator's follow our call and push something back through, then the President is trumped.

While I do have a definite opinion of who our leader's should be, I will accept whomever we get and intend to use my right of petition to our legislator's to ensure that I have a small touch on the steering wheel.

I implore you to get out and vote; grab your right to gripe about whatever you want. Also get proactive and do a quick study on who you want to represent you to your state and federal government(s). Either way, you WILL be governed and if you choose to have no part in it, then do you really have any right to be upset with anything the government does.

The passive citizen soon becomes a slave to the government. The proactive citizen encourages freedom.

It's time to decide who you are...I choose to be the patriotic zealot

No comments: