Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Discovering Health

It's been a couple of month's since writing about my situation with my health. Here's where I am now standing.

  • Weight: Original-242 lbs
  • Current-200lbs
  • Blood Glucose Level: Original-252 average
  • Current- 103 average
  • Cholesterol: Original-Can't remember
  • Current- last check about a month ago-perfect
  • Liver enzyme level: Original- Very high indicating cirrhosis
  • Current- last check about a month ago-perfect
  • Blood Pressure Original-leaning toward high
  • Current-perfect.
What have I done different?

  • Gave up regular soda. I do sometimes drink diet, but mostly drink flavored sugar free water.
  • Take 1 tablespoon of flax seed oil with every meal
  • Take 1/2 teaspoon of garlic extract with every meal
  • Take 1 teaspoon milk thistle concentrate twice daily
  • Limit serving size of things such as ice cream

Basically besides these things, I've done little different. I pretty much eat what I want, but I do pay attention to limit the serving size of potential problem foods; sweets, which have not been too much of a problem(I like meat & tater's).

Concerning the Soda (Dr. Pepper) I really expected to have a real problem abstaining. The truth is that it took one day of drinking water to purge myself of the need for it. I did start drinking the sugar-free flavored water mix, which actually has a very good taste. When I did drink diet soda, it also had a good taste. While I liked it, I didn't develop this great need for it like I did with the "fat" soda's. I can now take it or leave it.

I also make an effort to get a moderate amount of exercise. Nothing special though. At home I now take the stairs instead of the elevator. I walk to the mailbox rather than riding the Harley...stuff like that. Seriously though, simple things like going to fetch something from the shop myself rather than sending one of the kid's. Real simple changes.

I've got a follow-up with the Dr. tomorrow. I'm curious to see what he thinks. When I asked about the Type II diabetes/liver, I was told that I would probably be on med's very soon. The last visit I explained that I was going to try the alternative path's to body restoration, which received a very tepid reaction.

We'll see...

1 comment:

Jerri Dalrymple said...

Way to go!!! I used to put flaxseed (milled) in at least one meal a day. I need to get back to that....not sure why I stopped. I make my own bread, so I suppose I could mix it in there, too, and nobody would know. :0) I've been off "fat" pop for a LONG time...but it doesn't help with weight or anything. I only have 1-2/week, if that, so that's probably why it doesn't significantly reduce anything for me. Ah, well. Less sugar, I guess! :0)