Sunday, October 26, 2008

Speak Up When You Are Right!

Why I post things such as not being treated right by those with whom I pay for a service.
I work very hard for what I have and I make sure that my employer always receives more from me than I am payed for. I do this because I teach my children to always do their all in everything they do. If it is play time, play for all you are worth. Time to sleep? Get the best sleep you can. Time to eat...consume the foods that will support the body to the largest advantage. And, when it is time to work...work with all the passion you have. This is what my father taught me, thus I pass it on.
When I was eleven, believe it or not, my first job was cleaning the house of a kind elderly lady who lived the next block over. Now I will admit, I hate cleaning house and in fact, I hate working at most things that involve physical activity. I'm just plain lazy and in this, I work hard to insure that I have the time and means to be lazy. Back to the point...I worked very hard cleaning her house and in turn, she worked very hard at helping shape my work ethic. She taught me that if I always gave more than I was paid for, I would never leave anyone with the ability criticize or cause me shame. I learned that I was in charge of who people would see me as.
Carrying this later into life I also found that my word was either a credit or debit to not only my character, but also to that of my family. I can either build it up...or tear it down. Totally up to me.
In my now life, I am a professional salesman. I promote many products and I make sure that what I claim, I never have to later defend. I openly invite people to challenge what I tell them. Because I am sure of what I claim, I am able to offer myself up to personal repayment, which has never been required.
To the point of this post. When I buy something, or maybe a service, I ask many question's and I only lay down the money after I understand all the details of the transaction.
On the other hand, I know many people who are afraid of confrontation and will allow themselves to take a financial loss simply because they are not willing to take a stand. They will just suck up and take the loss. Personally I believe this is irresponsible not only to oneself, but also the one's family. Money does not come easy and to allow yourself to be taken advantage of is simply irresponsible.
On the issue of the TV that went bad, the old set was almost 4 yrs. old and had served us very well. But, we had a full four year warranty in place. The company had sold us this warranty and promised to cover us for the whole time period.
This issue took six weeks to resolve, but in the end, and because of my insistence, the company honored their word and contract. They also found a loyal customer who will promote and continue to frequent their establishment for their doing what was right.
While I believe they might bank on the fact that many people will avoid the confrontation and take the loss, they did make things right with me in the end.
I had a similar issue over an air compressor this last summer. 3 yr. warranty and 1.5 yrs. service until it broke. It took almost three weeks and many visits and calls, but I ended up with a new and upgraded compressor.
With purpose, I only try to buy the best quality I can, and likewise, I always try to get a good warranty or guarantee that a company will truly stand behind their product. Sorry, I just haven't been able to buy into this whole "throw-away" culture we now live in. I will not pay good money for trash.
Here's how I always seem to reach a good outcome in such issues. I never really call and get hostile. Instead, I always present my problem in an honorably manner and in turn, treat them as if they are honorable. After my presentation I ask them how they are going to help me with this. I always ask their name and use it frequently in the conversation.
If you allow and give responsibility to one, they will most often rise to accept it. Be personal by using their first name liberally and invite them to be the problem solver. Let them know you understand company policy and that they are only doing their job, but also know that having an insider going to bat for you will get you much farther down the road to a good resolution.
After the problem has been solved I always ask to speak with the person's supervisor/boss and when speaking with them, give the person who helped some well deserved praise. Let that person know that you appreciate and respect their integrity. In doing so you will be helping that person grow in their responsibilities to self and society.
Or...you can just take your lumps, keep your mouth shut, feel cheated and bitter; while enhancing the shift from societal responsibility.
Either way, you WILL and ARE making an impact upon our world.
It is our responsibility to speak up when we are right...

2 comments:

Jerri Dalrymple said...

Here, here! Very well put, well spoken! Thanks for sharing. These are tips I hope to remember and use in the future! :)

Gimped Redneck said...

Just some observations I've learned to act upon.