Sunday, August 24, 2008

Type II Diabetes and You

I recently decided it was time to go in for a check-up and find out how my liver was. The doc talked to me for a bit and then sent me off for a blood draw. It went pretty well and all I had to do was wait for the results; anticipating a good report on the liver.

A couple of days later I got a call from my doc’s good nurse Cindy. She said that I needed come in as soon as possible to discuss diabetes. Diabetes?

At the clinic the doc reported that my glucose level was too high and wanted me to alter my diet, as I would check the sugar level each morning.

Now, on a good note, my enzyme level was perfect! Liver functioning very well, and as everyone thought me odd, this visit and the announcement of Type II diabetes (anti-diabetes) really didn’t bother me. I can work with T-II diabetes, but to hear that the liver was working fine just blew me away! I really am excited.

As far as the diabetes goes, I’ve totally stopped any sugar from entering my mouth. The food was not biggie, but the soda was another story. I struggled for about three days and now am doing fine.

I did try the diet soda, and it is so-so. Once the sugar craving stopped the taste of them wasn’t bad. Actually there are some really good diet soda’s on the market, but without sugar, I just don’t find that I really need them.

Another change has been my diet. Rather than eating just once a day (supper) I am now eating around five times a day. This one is kind of hard for me. I am actually eating more than before, but on a schedule and careful attention to carb/protein content. Oh yeah, can’t forget that piece of cheddar cheese before bed every night. That’s an easy one.

Impressed with the liver/herb results, I’ve decided to start taking flax seed oil, cinnamon, and chromium. So far I’ve gone from a glucose level of 210 to an average of 130. I’ve also been working on my weight and have gone from 240 to 206, and dropping. My goal is around 180 lbs.

One thing that has really helped is a healthy walk after each meal. Actually, I should say a healthy hobble, but it’s still exercise.

4 comments:

Jerri Dalrymple said...

Wow! So you DO post every few YEARS, LOL! I'm sorry to hear about your illness and stones! The stones are a bad, bad thing. I suppose my hubby will find out one day. I read that water with lots of calcium in it causes them, as well. (there is so much calcium sediment in our water that when I can my garden veggies I have to clean the white off the jar so I can see what's inside!)

Jerri Dalrymple said...

P.S.
Kudos on the weight loss! That's awesome!!!

Gimped Redneck said...

Yeah...it's about that time...blog time.

Hope your good husband doesn't have to deal with the kidney stones...have you all tried a brita. We use one for our drinking water, which is rural water. I sure miss having a well. Paying for water...who'd have ever imagine?

Jerri Dalrymple said...

Haven't tried the brita. We use the water that comes through the fridge to drink b/c it's filtered. Probably not as good as the brita, but better than straight tap I suppose. Paying for water....yeah, it seems odd when you think about it. However, my husband drank from a freshwater spring stream a few weeks back and ended up with Giardia (look it up-it's a bad, bad, bad deal). Doc said it was from drinking from the stream and is becoming more common, especially during hunting season when hunters are drinking from the stream. He said he also sees it once in a while from well water!!! YIKES! Made me weary, but we've been drinking it for 8 years, and my husband has been for most of his life. "My pappy's pappy has been drinking from streams 'round here fer hundreds of years!" LOL