Sunday, August 24, 2008

Kidney Stones Really Hurt!

I know…. yes it’s been quite a while…anyway…enough about that and on with the show!

Some time back I was introduced to kidney stones; do they make a somewhat pronounced manifestation. I woke up with a twinge that made me wonder, “What is that,” which quickly escalated to me screaming “WHAT IS THIS,” in the local emergency room.

After two shots of pain medicine and some sort of scan/imagery the doc returned to announce the prognosis and that I had three stone’s, one of which was in the process of making an exit. Three day’s later, the stone tore it’s way out (not very fun) and was born. Two more to go! So far, not much activity other than an occasional twinge; they (stones) can just stay where they are.

For anyone wanting to take the kidney stone trip, avoid water consumption. Instead, drink lots of soda or any other liquid that serves no purpose other than chipping away at your financial reserves and health.
For another 9 months, Dr. Pepper, with an occasional splash of Mt Dew, and me remained very close friends, regardless of the Doc’s advice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how do ya feel these days? I just found out I got kidney stones and gallbladder stones. Both are giving me a fit.

Gimped Redneck said...

Actually I feel much better Larry. Thanks for asking.

In regards to the gallbladder & gall stones...I started having weird pains in my shoulder, chest, and right side. I thought it was my heart (even though it was on the wrong side). I found that if I stood very straight, the pain would subside. This went on for almost a month until I awoke around 1:00 a.m. with a pain that made me feel as if I was dying. I got out of bed and paced the floor in pain for a couple of hours until I decided I didn't want my wife and kid's to wake and find me dead in the living room.

We went to the emergency room and found that I had a gall stone stuck in the bile duct and the next day surgery had it gone. The doc said all would be well and the pain would be no more.

He was wrong. On a rare day I have the pain, but it doesn't last too long. Just kind of reminding me to not eat greasy food.

The kidney stones aren't too bad anymore. I passed one and still have two left. Some times I feel the twinge of one, but not much else.

I am activelly working to keep them from moving; as you know...the pain is beyond belief when they are moving/passing. The one thing I have found that really helps is simply to drink a lot of water and avoid caffeine. It's really made a difference.

I suggest you give it a try Larry. Cut the caffeine and drink lot's of water...it's really that simple.

I hope you do well, and thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

Keep us updated on how you are doing.