Monday, August 30, 2004

Butch the UPS Guy....

Butch just came and left and boy are the kids excited!

Butch our local UPS delivery driver is a very insightful and wise man. As he would say, he is black, but for political correctness I will say he is an Afro-American male. My family and me are mostly white (I am Cherokee Indian) as my wife is just about as European as one could get.

I mention the differences in skin color due to the fact that most of the "long-time" residents of our community are white/Indian, and people different than ourselves are given a long strange look. In this community the Indian segment (which is most everyone) is seperated by their physical look. If you show your Cherokee heritage, you just "ain't the same" as the rest of us. This rule is unspoken of course. We try to live in the "new" time, but our eye's and secret communications reveal our real thoughts. When I say "we", I am talking about the community and not my household.

What is interesting is the fact that with all the poultry production and the need for many workers, our hispanic/immigrant community is growing very fast. It is very common to walk into a local places of business and hear much spanish being spoken. The general concensus is that things would be much better if "they" would just go home. Funny how eagerly we accept their money though.........

This is where you will be able to reason "why" we want to move from this particular area of the country....maybe a county or two over!

Next time!

No comments: